Oct 21, 2010

Chewy Chia Cereal on Detox

So I'm onto Day 5 of my DETOX and so far so good. I had a few niggly bowel issues at the start of the week but they now seem to have gotten their shit in order - pardon the pun.

So here is a quick and easy recipe I've been having each morning that anyone can make. It's what I'm currently eating for brekkie but it can be made anytime when the urges for chewy chia goodness arise.

My Chewy Chia Cereal


1 Tbsp chia seeds (high in omegas, as well as calcium, protein, and iron, assisting in moving things through the digestive tract)
1/4-1/2 cup of filtered water


Soak the chia seeds in water, stirring, for about 10 minutes minimum to allow the seeds to come mucilagenous - meaning they will thicken considerably and the water will turn to a gel. You could also experiment with juices or COCONUT WATER in place of water.


Then choose your toppings!
I've got:

Sunflower seeds (omega fatty acids)
Pepita seeds (omega fatty acids)
Goji berries (complete raw protein, high antioxidants)
Raisins (for chewy goodness)
Buckwheat (soaked and sprouted, full of protein)
Cinnamon to taste (antiinflammatory, great for circulation and energy)

Probably a tablespoon of each, more buckwheat, less cinnamon of course.

Maca, cacao or carob are also great, protein powder can easily be mixed in too, but on DETOX I'm not eating any of these.

Then mix it all together



I also added a teaspoon or two of flax meal and sliced a banana on top



DELICIOUS!

Wondering why it's not in a pretty bowl? It's my take-away-brekkie that I eat when I get to work.

Speaking of which... gotta run! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I am eating chia porridge as we speak! Love your combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Courtney :) You'll have to tell me your combo. Always keen to hear how people eat theirs :)

    ReplyDelete